Dr. Willie Donnelly , Founder, Director, Chair of Executive Board, Head of Research WIT
Founder, Director, Chair of Executive Board, Head of Research WIT
Ph: +353 (0)51 845500
Dr. William Donnelly has been at the forefront of the European Telecommunications Management research and development industry since 1991. In 1991 he joined Broadcom Éireann Research, where he led a number of successful projects as head of telecommunications management—participation in these projects helped grow the organisation from 20 to over 50 people with a funding of €14million. In 1996 Dr Donnelly left Broadcom to take up a lectureship post in Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) where he established the Telecommunications Software and Systems Group (TSSG) with Eamonn de Leastar, Mícheál Ó Foghlú and later Barry Downes.
The TSSG has become one of the leading R&D centres within the European Framework programmes (FP4, FP5 and FP6), through its leadership of a large number of the IST telecommunications management R&D projects. It has successfully submitted 30 major international project proposals since 1996 resulting in over €15million. Other highlights in the TSSG proposal success include:
- Higher Educational Authority PRTLI programme, where the TSSG received funding of €3.5million M-Zones (management of smart spaces)
- SFI Development award and Joint PI Cluster award totalling €2million, focused on autonomic network management.
- Balasubramaniam, S., Barrett, K., Donnelly, W., Strassner, J., & van der Meer, S. 2006, “Bio-inspired Policy Based Management (bioPBM) for Autonomic Communication Systems”, in Proceeding of the 7th IEEE Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems and Networks (Policy 2006), Western Ontario, London, Canada.
- Balasubramaniam, S., Donnelly, W., Botvich, D., Agoulmine, N., & Strassner, J. 2006, “Towards Integrating Principles of Molecular Biology for Autonomic Network Management”, in Proceeding of the 13th HP OpenView University Association (HP-OVUA) Workshop, Nice, France.
- W. Donnelly & J. Clarke, “Architecture for Location Based Application of Third Generation Operation Support Systems (AlbatrOSS) Smart Home-based Scenarios”, International conference on Computer, Communication and Control Technologies (CCCT 2003), Florida, USA;
- W. Donnelly & C. Ryan, “ Value based billing in a 3G IP services environment”, SCI 2002, Orlando, Florida, July 2002;
- W Donnelly, “Reusable Building Blocks for Telecommunications Integration”, DRCN Conference Budapest. Oct 7-10 2001;
- W Donnelly, “Customisable Resource Discovery Service”, E-business and E-work Conference, Venice, Italy,17-19 October 2001;
- W Donnelly et Al, “Federated Accounting Systems”, IM 2001 Seattle, USA;
- W Donnelly, “Internet Based Inter-Enterprise Management”, IT&T Conference, 4-6 April 2001, Riga, Latvia;
- W Donnelly, “Integrated Management Systems to Support Advanced Multimedia based Telecommunications Systems”, Networking 2000 Conference, May 2000, Paris;
- W Donnelly, “Scenarios for the evolution of management systems”, IDC’99, Madrid, September 1999;
- W Donnelly, “Evolution of Management Systems”, ATM Forum Conference Rennes, France, March 1999;
- W Donnelly, “Emerging technologies and Architectures for Broadband communications networks”, Journal of Interoperable Communications Networks, March 1999 , September 1999;
- W Donnelly, “Managing Multiprovider Networks”, Computer Communications, 22 (1999) 1628-1632 Elsevier;
- W Donnelly and D. Lewis, “Service Management System Design Methodology for Multiprovider Telecommunications Networks”, Globecom, Rio, 1999;
- W Donnelly, “Strategic Guidelines from ACTS Programme”, Advances in Telecommunications Management Conference, London, U.K, 10/11 November 1998;
- W Donnelly & V. Wade, “A Design Process for the Development of Multi Domain Service Management Systems”, ATMForum Workshop, Rennes March 1998;
- W Donnelly & V. Wade , “Supporting Tele-educational Services in an Open Service Market”, ED-MEDIA/ED-TELECOM 1996 (International conference on Hypermedia and Tele-communications in Education), Boston, June 1996;
- W Donnelly, “Work Flow for the integration of architectures : TINA and NMF”, DNAC’98 Conference, Paris, France 1-3 Dec 1998;
- W Donnelly & , P. Mc Loughlin, “ODP as a Unifying Framework for the Development of Cooperative Service Management Systems”, TINA-C Conference, Melbourne, Australia, Feb. 1995;
- W Donnelly, “Implementation of TMN Management systems, Effective Network Management Systems”, Improving Service Quality for Network Operators, London, U.K, May 15-16, 1995;
- W Donnelly, “Experiences in Multi-domain Management Systems Development”, Fourth IFIP/IEEE ISINM Santa Barbara, California, USA, 1995;
- W Donnelly, “The PREPARE Management Information Service”, International Conference on Broadband Services and Networks, November 1993, Paris;
- W Donnelly, “Managing Broadband VPN services”, International Conference on Broadband Services and Networks, November 1993, Paris.
Dr. Donnelly is a government appointee to the Irish Research Council for Science Engineering and Technology (www.ircset.ie). He is the founder member and Chairman of the Communications Software Systems and Networks Group (CSSN. He is also founder member of the Information Technology and Telecommunications (IT&T) conference. Technical Programme Committee memberships include: Globecom (1999), IS&N (1997, 1998), IESS Integrated Management (IM 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007), IEEE NOMS (2000, 2002, 2004, 2006), IEE MMNS (2000, 2003), IEEE IPOM (2003), IPS (2004).
Editorships include: Interoperable Communications Networks Journal, Flexible Working—New Network Technologies (Book), Special Issue ICN journal—Broadband Telecommunications Management, IS&N Conference proceedings (1998, 1999).
Dr. Donnelly has supervised over 20 MSc and PhD students in the period 1996-2006 in WIT, and is currently supervising 5 Ph.D. students scheduled to graduate in September 2007. He is an external examiner for Athlone Institute of Technologies engineering department at undergraduate and postgraduate programme level. He has acted as external examiner for postgraduate students in engineering at TCD, Limerick, Paris VI, Université d’Evrys and University of Rome. He has helped develop core modules of the MSc (taught) in Communications Software in WIT.
- BSc in Physics and Mathematics, Dublin Institute of Technology, 1984
- PhD in experimental physics, University College Dublin, 1989.