James Clarke, Strategic EU Liaison Manager
Strategic EU Liaison Manager
Ph: +353 (0)71 9166 628
Mr. James Clarke has been working for the Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) in the Telecommunications Software and Systems Group (TSSG), since February 2005. Prior to joining WIT-TSSG, Mr. Clarke worked at LAKE Communications in Ireland for eight years and Grumman Corporation in the United States for eight years.
Current Activities / Research Interests
Since January 2011, Mr. Clarke has been the project coordinator of a European Framework Program 7 Co-ordination action entitled ‘BIC’, which stands for Building International Cooperation for Trustworthy ICT: Security, Privacy and Trust in Global Networks & Services. BIC will engage the European Union trust and program management (funding organizations) and research communities with associated peers located internationally in India, Brazil and South Africa. If successful, this will enable greater collaboration amongst research communities in security, privacy and trust and will reflect what has already been established in the US, Australia, Japan, Korea and Canada in the recently concluded INCO-Trust project that Mr. Clarke also coordinated from 2008 – 2010 (http://www.inco-trust.eu/).
- Clarke, J., Sharma, A., et al., 2012. Trust & Security RTD in the Internet of Things – Opportunities for International cooperation, SecurIT 2012, Security Conference on Internet of Things (IoT), Kerala, India, 17-19th August 2012.
- Magen, J.; Clarke, J., et al, 2012. Session report on Session 3.3 – Smart city infrastructure (FIA Aalborg, May ’12), http://www.fi-aalborg.eu/downloads/FIA_Aalborg_session_3.3.pdf;
- Skarmeta, A., Clarke, J., et al. 2012. Report of Sessions II.3 Internet of Things and the Future Internet, Future Internet Assembly, Aalborg. http://www.fi-aalborg.eu/index.php/program/session-2-2-internet-of-things-iot-and-future-internet-fi-architectures
- De Polo, A., Papanikolaou, N., Clarke, J., 2011 Session organisation and report on Putting the user in control of their data and information in the Future Internet (FIA Poznan, Oct. ’11), http://www.future-internet.eu/home/future-internet-assembly/poznan-october-2011/s34-user-in-control.html.
- Clarke, J., 2011. Report of the European Commission DG INFSO Trust and Security unit workshop on Privacy Protection and ICT: research ideas. http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/security/publications_en.html]
- Clarke, J., 2011. Report of the European Commission DG INFSO Trust and Security unit workshop on Network and Information security: research ideas, Brussels, Belgium. http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/security/workshop22092011.pdf
- Clarke, J. 2011. Report of Session II.2 Internet of Things and the Future Internet, Future Internet Assembly, (FIA Budapest, May ’11), http://security.future-internet.eu/images/6/62/IoTFI_session_long.pdf
- Clarke, et. al., 2010. Session report on Can the Cloud Be Trusted (FIA Ghent, Dec. ’10), http://security.future-internet.eu/images/7/7c/Can_the_cloud_be_trusted_report1.pdf;
- Clarke, et. al., 2010 Session report on Privacy and Citizenship (FIA Ghent, Dec. ’10), http://security.future-internet.eu/images/1/1c/Privacy_and_citizenship_report1.pdf;
- Clarke, J., et al, 2011. Building a long term strategy for International cooperation in Trustworthy ICT , Information Security Systems Europe (ISSE) 2011, Prague, Czech Republic, Nov. 2011. ISSE 2011 book on Securing Electonic Business Processes, pp. 98-108, ISBN 978-3-8348-1911-6. http://www.revolution1.plus.com/isse/downloads/ISSE_2011_Programme.pdf
- Papanikolaou, N., Clarke, J. et. al., Session report on FIA session III.4 – Security and Usability (FIA Budapest, May ’11), http://security.future-internet.eu/images/2/26/SecUsab_session_short.pdf;
- Daskala, B., Clarke, J., et al, 2010. Flying 2.0: Enabling automated air travel by identifying and addressing the challenges of IoT & RFID technology, Report of the ENISA Expert group on IoT / RFID, April 2010.
- Clarke, J., et al, 2010. Workshop report of an Interim FIA ID workshop “Privacy enhancing Identity management across the layers in the short and long term, March 2010.
- Clarke, J., et al, 2009. Future Internet Assembly Stockholm, Trust and Identity Track report, November 2009.
- Clarke, J. et al, 2009. At your service: Service-Oriented Computing from an EU Perspective: MIT Press, Chapter 15. Security and Dependability in the Evolving Service-centric Architectures, pp. 387 – 406, ISBN-10:0-262-04253-3; ISBN-13:978-0-262-04253-6, June 2009.
- Clarke, J. et al, 2009. FP7 INCO-TRUST WORKSHOP ON “International Co-operation in Trustworthy Systems: Security, Privacy and Trust in Large-Scale Global Networks & Services as Part of the Future Internet”, INCO-TRUST Workshop, Madrid, Spain, April 2009. http://www.incotrust.eu/media/D4_1_WS1_Report.pdf.
- Clarke, J. 2008. Proceedings from “ID Management in the Future Digital Society”, October 2008, Brussels, Belgium, http://www.think-trust.eu/general/news-events/2008-10-14-workshop-on-id-managementin-the-future-digital-society-takes-place-in-brussels.html
- Clarke, J. et. al., 2007. “ICT Trust, Security and Dependability Research Strategy beyond 2010”, IST Africa 2007, 9-11 May 2007.
- Clarke, J., et al.., 2006. EU-US Workshop on “Secure, dependable and trusted ICT infrastructures”. An EU/US workshop on research in “Cyber Trust: System Dependability & Security” was held in Dublin, Ireland on November 15th and 16th, 2006. This article presents the themes discussed and the main workshop conclusions. / April 2007 On line version available at http://ercimnews.ercim.org/images/stories/EN69/EN69.pdf
- Lechner, S., Clarke, J., 2007. “Security and Dependability – Strategic Research Agenda for Europe”, ENISA Quarterly, Vol. 2, No. 4, Jan 2007, pp. 8-9.
- Clarke, J. Pasic, A., “ESFORS – NESSI Workshop Addresses New Research Priorities in Trust,
- Security and Dependability in Software Systems and Services”, ERCIM News 68, pp. 63-64. On line version available at http://ercim-news.ercim.org/images/stories/EN68/EN68.pdf
- Clarke, J., “A Security and Dependability Strategic Research Agenda for Europe”, ERCIM News 67, pp. 10-11. On line version available at ttp://www.ercim.org/publication/Ercim_News/EN67.pdf
- Clarke, J., Dooly, Z., Fitzgerald W., Howker, K., 2006. “SecurIST: Security & Dependability to Empower the Citizen in the 21st Century”, 15th IST Mobile and Wireless Summit 2006 Conference, 4-8 June 2006, Mykonos, Greece.
- Clarke, J., Dooly, Z., Fitzgerald W., 2006. “SecurIST: The Application Security Initiative”, IST Africa 2006 Conference, 3-5 May, 2006, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Clarke, J. et. al., 2005. “IST SecurIST – Co-ordinating the development of a Strategic Research Agenda for Security and Dependability R&D”, eChallenges 2005 Ljubljana, Slovenia, 19-21st October 2005.
- Clarke, J. et. al., 2005. “Co-ordinating the development of a Strategic Research Agenda for Security and Dependability R&D”, 2005 IEEE International Carnahan Conference on Security Technology, Gran Canaria Spain, 11-14th October 2005.
- Clarke, J. et. al., 2005. “Strategic Research Agenda for Security and Dependability in R&D”, Information Security Solutions Europe (ISSE) 2005, Budapest, Hungary, 27-29th September 2005.
- Clarke, J., 2005. “IST-SecurIST – Co-ordinating the development of a Strategic Research Agenda for Security and Dependability R&D: Security research framework for Europe – Empowering the citizen”. European CIIP Newsletter (ECN), August/September 2005, Volume 1, Number 2, pp. 6-8. On line version available from http://www.ci2rco.org//
- Clarke, J. et. al., 2005. “Security and Privacy in a Pervasive World”, Eurescom Summit 2005, Heidelberg, Germany, 27-29th April 2005.
- Clarke, J. et. al., 2004. “Challenges of Identity, Authentication, and Discovery Management in a Ubiquitous environment: The DAIDALOS perspective”, 7th International Symposium on Communications Interworking, Ottawa, Canada, 29 Nov. – 1 Dec. 2004.
In addition to the above activities, Mr. Clarke is a Steering board member of the NEM Technology Platform http://www.nem-initiative.org/ and was twice voted onto the two year terms of Steering Board member of the European Net!WorksTechnology Platform http://www.networks-etp.eu/ and is also involved in the Future Internet Assembly (FIA) http://www.future-internet.eu/ as one of the principal trust and Security organisers and Program Committee (PC) members. For the FIA Aalborg in May 2012 and the FIA Budapest conference held in May 2011, he was involved with organising sessions related to research challenges associated to smart cities and associated with the Internet of Things (IoT) and impacts on trust, security and privacy. Mr. Clarke is actively involved in the research community, having served in various international conference committees as Chair and program committee member. Mr. Clarke also worked on the Framework Programme 6 (FP6) IST DAIDALOS, ESFORS and SecurIST projects, amongst others.