Miguel Ponce De Leon, RU Manager 3MT & Chief Architect
RU Manager 3MT & Chief Architect
Ph: +353 (0)51 302 952
Miguel Ponce de Leon is currently Research Unit Manager of 3MT at the Telecommunications Software & Systems Group (TSSG), a research group which focuses on communications software services management and Internet technologies.
In this role he monitors new technologies, both internal and external to the TSSG environment and oversee the execution of research and innovation projects and the selection of new research opportunities.
As Chief Architect he is responsible for technology foresight, software process and practice, software quality and test-beds across all the Units. The Chief Architect is also the line manager for the EFM, IG and 3MT Units. In addition the Chief Architect will support the COO and the Units to raise EU funding.
Current Activities / Research Interests
His key research themes include:-
- Future Internet
- Communication Network Management
- Living Lab
In the area of Security, Miguel is looking at the many types of threats to service information, such as infringement of private data, economic espionage, hacking and big brother monitoring, which can be propagated to the end-user. Along with a team of researchers he is also developing a trusted and dependable security framework.Projects here include Aniketoswhich is aligning existing and develop new technology, methods, tools and security services that support the design-time creation and run-time dynamic behaviour of composite services, addressing service developers, service providers and service end users.
Also through the PASSIVE project which proposes to introduce an improved model of security for virtualisation technologies and cloud computing for e-Government.
In the area of the Future Internet Miguel is contributing to ICT 4WARD which is a project creating an “Architecture and Design for the Future Internet” and in doing so aims to increase the competitiveness of the European networking industry and to improve the quality of life for European citizens by creating a family of dependable and interoperable networks providing direct and ubiquitous access to information.
In the area of Communication Network Management, Miguel is participating in a number of EU FP7 projects.
ICT EFIPSANS aims to expose the features in IPv6 protocol(s) that can be exploited or extended for the purposes of designing and building autonomic networks and services. This will involve the production of standardisable, protocol-agnostic Autonomic Behaviour Specifications (ABs) for selected diverse networking environments.
ICT AutoI will design and develop a self-managing virtual resource overlay that can span across heterogeneous networks, support service mobility, quality of service and reliability. This overlay will self-manage based on the business-driven service goals changes (service context) and resource environment changes (resource context).
Accordingly, AutoI, suggests a transition from a service agnostic Internet to service-aware network resources by means of Virtualising network resources and Policy-Based Management techniques to describe and control the internal service logic, utilising Ontology-based information and data models to facilitate the Internet service deployment in terms of programmable networks facilities supporting NGN.
In the area of Living Labs Miguel is looking to the ground work for more elaborate and distributed prototyping, testing, and validation facilities with the:
- Realisation of testbeds becoming an important tool to integrate different technologies (system level)
- Tools to understand how to integrate (methodology level)
- Interfaces to the end-user in their daily life (demonstration level).
In the area of IP Mobility, Miguel is managing a team of researchers that are looking to the underlying network infrastructures over which next generation services will be delivered. With the emergence of IP as the neutral transport of choice for next generation networks, the related issues of IP Mobility and Network Reliability are being explored.
This activity is facilitated through the ICT Perimeter project.
- E. Trouva, E. Grasa, J. Day, I. Matta, L. T. Chitkushev, S. Bunch, M. Ponce de León, P. Phelan, X. Hesselbach-Serra, Transport over Heterogeneous Networks Using the RINA Architecture, WWIC 2011, June 2011.
- E. Trouva, E. Grasa, P. Phelan, M. Ponce de Leon, J. Day, I. Matta, L. Chitkushev, S. Bunch, Is the Internet an unfinished demo? Meet RINA!, TNC 2011, May 2011.
- Z. Boudjemil, P. Phelan, M. Ponce de Leon, S. van der Meer, A Case Study for defining Interoperable Network Components using MDD, EMS 2010, Nov. 2010.
- P. Phelan, Z. Boudjemil, M. Ponce de Leon, S. van der Meer, An Introduction to Network Stack Design using Software Design Patterns, MACE 2010, Oct. 2010.
- M. Ponce de Leon, A. Adhikari, A User Centric Always Best Connected Service Business Model for MVNOs, Second International Workshop on Business Models for Mobile Platforms, BMMP, Berlin, Germany, Oct, 2010.
- M. Ponce de Leon, S. Mao, F. Steuer, J. Schumacher, T. Magedanz, R. A. Beyah and S. Midkiff, Advances In Wireless Test beds and Research Infrastructures, From the issue entitled “Special Issue on Advances In Wireless Test beds and Research Infrastructures. Guest Editors: Miguel Ponce de Leon, Shiwen Mao, Frank Steuer, Jens Schumacher, Thomas Magedanz, Raheem A. Beyah, and Scott Midkiff”, Mobile Networks and Applications, Volume 15, Number 3, 311-314, DOI: 10.1007/s11036-010-0230-1.
- J. Strassner, M. Ponce de Leon, A Modelling and Reasoning Framework for Representing and Orchestrating Service Level Agreement Behaviour, eChallenges 2009, Oct. 2009.
- J. Strassner, S. van der Meer, B. Jennings, M. Ponce de Leon, Semantic Mediation to Enable Network and Service Management Interoperability in Future Internet Networks, in Proc. e-Challenges 2009, Instanbul, Turkey, October 2009 [Winner: Best Paper]
- J. Strassner, S. van der Meer, B. Jennings, M. Ponce de Leon, An autonomic architecture to manage Ubiquitous Computing networks and applications, First International Conference on Ubiquitous and Future Networks, ICUFN 2009, June 2009
- D. Dudkowski, M. Brunner, G. Nunzi, C. Mingardi, C. Foley, M. Ponce de Leon, C. Meirosu, S. Engberg, Architectural principles and elements of in-network management, IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, IM ’09, June 2009
- F. Cleary Grant, M. Ponce de Leon, J. Horgan, Testbed infrastructure supporting pervasive services, 5th International Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructures for the Development of Networks & Communities and Workshops, TridentCom 2009, April 2009.
- J. Strassner, S. van der Meer, M.O. Foghlu, M. Ponce de Leon, W. Donnelly, Autonomic Orchestration of Future Networks to Realize Prosumer Services, International Conference on Future Networks, March 2009
- M. Ponce de Leon, Management of Future Communication Networks and Services, ConvergedNetworks 2008, Sept 2008
- M. Söllner, C. Görg, K. Pentikousis, J. Mª Cabero Lopez, M. Ponce de Leon, P. Bertin, Mobility Scenarios for the Future Internet: the 4WARD approach, WPMC 2008, Sept 2008
- Christopher Foley, Sasitharan Balasubramaniam, Eamonn Power, Miguel Ponce de Leon, Dmitri Botvich, Dominique Dudkowski, Giorgio Nunzi, and Chiara Mingardi, A Framework for In-Network Management in Heterogeneous Future Communication Networks, MACE 2008, Sept. 2008
- M. Johnsson, J. Huusko, T. Frantti, F-U Andersen, T-M-T. Nguyen, M. Ponce de Leon, Towards a New Architectural Framework – The Nth Stratum Concept, MobiMedia 2008, July 2008
- M. Ponce de Leon, C. Fahy, Technology Platform for a European Network of Living Labs, Living Labs in Europe – A new approach for human centric innovation in service and business development, Book Chapter 4: Technology Platform for the ENoLL, Feb. 2008.
- M. Ponce de Leon, Karl A. Hribernik, Mats Eriksson, Virtual Laboratory Environments – through the infrastructure of the Living Labs, Encyclopedia of Networked and Virtual Organizations, Book Chapter, Feb 2008.
- C. Fahy, M. Ponce De Leon, S. van der Meer, Modelling Behaviour and Distribution for the Management of Next Generation Networks, Whitestein Series in Software Agent Technologies and Autonomic Computing, Book Chapter, 2008.
- C. Fahy, M. Ponce De Leon, A. Stahlbrost, H. Schaffers,P. Hongisto, Services of Living Labs and their Networks, eChallenges 2007, Oct 2007.
- F. Cleary Grant, M. Ponce De Leon, Marta GARCÍA MORENO, Antonio ROMERO VICENTE, Mark Roddy, Large Scale Research Project, Daidalos Evaluation Framework, The European Conference on Information Management and Evaluation (ECIME) 2007, Sept. 2007.
- M Ponce de Leon, W. Yao, M. Angel Diaz, Scenarios Designed for the Verification of Mobile IPv6 Enabling Technologies, Federation of Telecommunications Engineers of the European Community (FITCE) Congress 2007, Aug. 2007.
- F. Cleary Grant, M. Ponce de Leon, Marta GARCÍA MORENO, Antonio ROMERO VICENTE, Mark Roddy, Czeslaw Jedrzejek, Daidalos Framework for Successful Testbed Integration, Tridentcom 2007, May 2007.
- M. Ponce de Leon, F. Cleary, Marta GARCÍA MORENO, Ana SOBRINO JULAR, Antonio ROMERO VICENTE, Mark Roddy, Paul Ryan, Czeslaw Jedrzejek, Large scale interoperability, Integrating the Daidalos project, eChallenges 2006, Oct 2006.
- M. Ponce de Leon, M. Eriksson, S. Balasubramaniam, W. Donnelly, Creating a distributed mobile networking testbed environment – through the Living Labs approach, Proceedings of 2nd International IEEE/Create-Net Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructures for the Development of Networks and Communities (TridentCom), Barcelona, Spain, March, 2006
- J. McGibney, M. Ponce de Leon, J. Ronan, Security for Heterogeneous Mobile Network Services, eChallenges, Ljubljana, Slovenia, October 2005.
- J. McGibney, J. Ronan, M. Ponce de Leon, Securing Mobile Services, Euro mGov 2005, Brighton, UK, July 2005.
- M. Zach, D. Parker, L. Fallon, C. Unfried, M. Ponce de Leon, S. van der Meer, N. Georgalas, J. Nielsen. “CELTIC Initiative Project Madeira: A P2P Approach to Network Management”, Eurescom Summit 2005 Ubiquitous Services and Applications Exploiting the Potential, Heidelberg, Germany, 27 – 29 April 2005.
Member of IEEE Communication Society
Member of IEEE Computer Society
Member of IEEE Engineering Management Society
Technical Programme Committee member of MATA 2005
Technical Programme Committee member and Demonstration Chair of TridentCom 2007
General Chair of TridentCom 2008
Miguel Ponce de Leon is a graduate from the Waterford Institute of Technology where by 1996 he held a Bachelor of Technology Honours Degree in Electronic Engineering.