Graduate Software Developer
TSSG has great opportunities to start your career, especially if you want to experience real responsibility from the word go, be truly accountable and make an impact whilst learning from those around you. You will work with some of the best and learn a lot, with supplementary learning and development to back up what you experience on the job; you will have everything you need to develop your career.
We advertise our Graduate Programme in January/February, the deadline for applications is normally end of February/early March. We conduct interviews in March/April making our selections and offers in April.
What Are We Looking For?
TSSG’s core strength is our people and our Graduate Programme is a key element in building our high calibre talent base. We want graduates of the highest potential that have the skills and vision to succeed and excel in a fast past environment.
Minimum Qualification Required: Degree in computing, maths, engineering or equivalent (e.g. BSc/BEng).
This role allows the graduate to engage in cutting edge research for commercial partners of TSSG sponsored by Enterprise Ireland and the European Commission. The role provides the opportunity to work on dynamic, state of the art research projects involving international consortia.
This brings the benefit of:
- Engaging with leading edge commercial groups developing the next generation of ICT systems and products.
- Engaging with key industrial and research organisations throughout Europe.
- Travelling to partner locations for technical meetings, engaging directly with Enterprise Ireland, the European Commission and other supporting agencies to define future research direction.
- Work in these projects can be closely aligned to coursework allocated in the taught masters, and indeed in PhD programmes.
Duties would include:
- Working on a diverse range of collaborative research projects, contributing to state of the art analysis, system architecture specification, software development and concept/prototype development, both internally within the TSSG and as part of distributed research team.
- Detailing technical, business, and conceptual requirements and system specifications for next generation communication systems – covering all aspects of TSSG research including Data Mining, Social Computing/networking, pervasive communications, security: privacy/trust/identity management, cloud services, app development, context/location aware services.
- Initiation and maintenance of strategic relationships with other external research groups and relevant industrial parties.
- Analysis, design and development of software components.
- Timely delivery of project outputs in terms of documents, papers, whitepapers, software, prototypes, reports.
- Ensuring the adherence of outputs to quality standards.
- Co-ordinating with external parties on delivery of project outputs.
- Bringing your ideas to fruition by engaging in funding proposal creation and development.
- Initiation of and participation in the production of quality academic publications.
- Object Oriented programming ability in Java or similar OO language.
- Knowledge of source code control and testing tools (e.g. SVN, Git, JUnit).
- Knowledge of Web Technologies (e.g. RESTful APIs, SOAP).
- Knowledge of database technologies – (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL Server).
- Ability to create test procedures and test plans.
- Strong organizational, time management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven self-starter with drive and determination to succeed.
- Ability to work in a team and on own imitative.
Opportunity to participate in MSc in Computing
The Programme provides the option for graduates to participate in the MSc in Computing (Communications Software) on a part-time basis with an opportunity to pursue a PhD if desired, see link below:
Graduate CV and Interview Tips
- When listing technologies always reference how you’ve used them or why you chose them – 1 or 2 lines that detail how it was used in a project.
- If you list a technology, be prepared to answer a question on what it is, and how and why you use it.
- We expect graduates to be passionate about technology; you need to show how you have researched into something because you were interested, not because it was an assignment, i.e. iphone/android development in spare time, open source contribution.
What Our Graduates Say
” Originally I joined TSSG on a one year internship in 2012. This internship was excellent preparation for my final year of college. I gained exposure to industry standard practices and technologies, which allowed me to tackle my final year with added confidence. I worked in a challenging environment as part of an innovative team of developers on two distinct research and development projects. The organisation actively encouraged me to weigh in with my thoughts and opinions and afforded me the opportunity to make real and meaningful contributions to projects. Much of the skills garnered related closely to college modules and projects, which played a huge in role in my attainment of a first class honours degree. When I had graduated in June of 2013, I returned to TSSG as a Graduate Software Developer. The internship and graduate programs delivered by the group made for a seamless transition to work life. The graduate program also assists in furthering your knowledge and skills through opportunities in masters degree programs (which I am currently completing on a part time basis), PhD research and professional development courses. All of the above coupled with extremely friendly and supportive colleagues make TSSG a perfect place to begin your career. “
– David Benson
” I joined TSSG as a graduate Software Developer in October 2012. I was given a wide range of training that made me very comfortable in the job; this includes different technical training, work ethics and test work that made my work life a lot easier. There is very positive environment here in TSSG as you are always learning new technical and leadership skills that are required for the job. The communication between the employer and staff is excellent. I came to Ireland through the Hosting Agreement process, which was the quickest and easiest way to get you to work here. I have also been offered a place on a Masters Program as part of my professionally development. Overall from my own experience TSSG is an excellent place to begin your career. “
– Mansoor Ahmad
We currently have the following vacancy: