TSSG carries out a wide spectrum of industry-informed research in Information and Communications Technologies (ICT). Our core expertise addresses usability, flexibility, trust and security of communication systems, incorporating innovative services, network infrastructure, social media and mobile.
Our research teams comprise some of Ireland’s leading telecommunications and software researchers, experts, and engineers; this knowledge and expertise has enabled us to work with academic and industry leaders from around the globe. Our industry collaborators include Nokia, Ericsson, Nokia Siemens Networks and Alcatel-Lucent – as well as Tier 1 operators including Telefónica/O2, T-Mobile, Telecom Italia, Vodafone, Telenor Group, Portugal Telecom and many more.
Ranked as one of the top 10 research organisations shaping ‘Future Internet’ research by the European Commission, we are currently the only Irish academic leading a large FP7 ICT project.
TSSG has approximately 40 active projects per calendar year, undertaken across core Research Units (RU) relating to a range of research themes including:
- 3MT (Mobile, Messaging & Middleware) - Full lifecycle of integrated services, Inter-discipline service management research, cognitive mechanisms, federation, virtual infrastructure & cloud computing
- Emerging Networks Laboratory – Investigating emerging network paradigms and processes for communication networks, infrastructure, smart grids and green systems of the future.
- Data Mining & Social Computing – Researching the full data analysis life cycle data gathering, data cleaning and warehousing through to modelling and presentation of results. Social Computing investigates methods for modelling social behaviour through computational systems.
- Mobile Services – Mobile application development, complex service back-ends / mobile middleware, cloud computing technologies, product and market strategies for mobile services, and scalable internet architectures.
- Design and Usability – The DU offers a wealth of user experience, data visualization and information design and development expertise. Visualization, digital prototyping and interface planning are just some of the services on offer that can help enhance great research and innovation.
The TSSG has built world class excellence in research – but we also understand what industry wants. We know how to win EU funds for Ireland and co-ordinate international projects but, most importantly, we know how to produce commercially exploitable results.
Kevin Doolin – Chief Engineer, TSSG Scientific & Technical Board Chair