Security & Trust
STR – Security & Trust Research
Research Unit Manager
TSSG’s specialised Security & Trust Research Unit investigates technologies related to IT security in the areas of distributed trust and reputation management, privacy and data protection controls and critical infrastructure protection.
The work undertaken by this unit ranges from fundamental basic IT security research, through the application of this research in applied research projects and in the commercialisation of these research results directly impacting on the industry.
TSSG Security unit is also involved in the co-ordination of international research policy development. Current running projects include PASSIVE, Aniketos, EffectsPlus and BIC. The team conducts this research in collaboration with many of the European and global leaders in this field.
Research topics for the Security Research Unit include:
- Distributed trust and reputation management:Trust principals for use in single service, a number of independent services, and more complex service configurations.
- Access control for secure services: Scalable framework for secure service composition.
- Identity, Privacy and Data Protection technologies: Identity management/provisioning that is privacy preserving and compliant with data protection legislation for the Future Internet across networks, services and applications.
- Service policy continuity: Enabling the enforcement of security.
- Coordination of national/international research and policy aspects of trust and security: being at the forefront in driving important coordination activities.
- Protection of critical infrastructures: Securing critical infrastructures including financial infrastructures and looking at other infrastructures (energy, transportation etc.)
Security & Trust Research Unit Members:
- Jason Barron (PhD Student)
- Jimmy McGibney (Researcher)
- Ahmed Mohamed El-Mesiry (PhD Student)
- Frances Cleary (Project Co-ordinator )
- Tom Curran (Business Development Manager )
- Zeta Dooly (Researcher)
- Hisain Elshaafi (Senior Research Engineer)
- Keith Howker (Security Research Engineer)
- Paul Malone (RU Manager, Security)
- Shahidul Hoque (Software Engineer)