Director of Innovation
Kevin Doolin is the Director of Innovation at Telecommunications Software and Systems Group (TSSG).
In this role, Kevin is responsible for oversight and strategic direction of TSSG’s Applied and Commercial Research Activities. He plays a key role in driving the TSSG Research Units and staff to get involved in EU applied research, and the EI ComFund, driving proposal strategies for all relevant research funding calls including, but not limited to, the key cross-unit decisions, assisting in commercial, research and proposal development of each unit.
Kevin’s area of expertise is Pervasive Computing, which is the forerunner to ‘Internet of Things’ (IoT). Kevin has been involved in this space since he joined TSSG in 2004. Kevin has already coordinated a number of key EU projects in this space, for example PERSIST which deals with establishing personal smart spaces and integrating these with other smart spaces such as the smart office, smart home, etc.
Another example project was the €15M EU flagship project ‘SOCIETIES’, which closed in April 2014 and received significant praise from expert scientific reviewers. Kevin describes the project, “SOCIETIES focuses on bridging the gap between pervasive and social computing, and enables the establishment of dynamically formed networks of people and things which can in turn be offered personalised mobile services”.
SOCIETIES is detailed in two key magazines produced during the project: http://www.ict-societies.eu/magazine-downloads/.
Kevin was the founder of a TSSG startup called ‘Fuseami’. Fuseami provides a service whereby attendees at events and conferences can discover each other based on their degree of relevance.
- Davy, A, Mahon, F, Doolin, K, Jennings, B, Ó Foghlú, M., “Personalised, Context-aware Composition of Pervasive Mobile Services”, In the proceedings of the 1st Euro Conference on mGov 2005
- Fitzgerald, W., Doolin, K., Hauser, C., Gomez-Skarmeta, A., Butler, S., Schlosser, P, Weyl, B., Daidalos Security Framework for Mobile Services, eChallenges e-2005 Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Mullins, R., Mahon, F., Kuhmuench, C., Crotty, M., Mitic, J., Pfeifer, T., Doolin, K. “Daidalos:A Platform for Facilitating Pervasive Services”, PERVASIVE 2006 Conference, Dublin, Ireland, May
- Mahon, F., Mitic, J., Crotty, M., Doolin, K., Kuhmuench, C., “Pervasive Service Platform(PSP): Facilitating Pervasive Services”, ICNS 06 (NGNUS 2006: Next Generation Networks and Ubiquitous Services ) /IEEE Sponsored International Conference on Networking and Services, Silicon Valley, USA, July
- Doolin, K., Mahon, F., Farshchian, B., “Dynamic session management: Supporting global user mobility”, eChallenges 2006, Barcelona, Spain, October
- Williams, M. H., Taylor, N. K., Roussaki, I., Robertson, P., Farshchian, B., Doolin, K., “Developing a Pervasive System for a Mobile Environment”, eChallenges 2006, Barcelona, Spain, October
- Doolin, K., Mahon F., “Discovering and Managing Composed Services in Pervasive Systems”, Global IPV6 Summit 2005 / Internet Global Congress, Barcelona, Spain, June
- Doolin, K., Mullins, R., Moreno, M.G., Abad, R.M., Mota, T., Farshchian, B.A., Gomez, M.
“DAIDALOS, un Nuevo Estándar para la Videoconferencia Inteligente basada en IMS” (DAIDALOS, a new standard for intelligent videoconferencing based on IMS”, Paper/Poster for the Spanish Telecommunications Summit – Telecom I+D, October 2007.
- Doolin, K., Mullins, R., Abad, R.M., Moreno, M.G., Mota,T., Farshchian, B.A., Gómez, M., “Supporting ubiquitous IMS-based teleconferencing through discovery and composition of IMS and web components”
Journal of Network and Systems Management (JNSM, Springer), Special Issue on Management of the IP Multimedia Subsystem, March 2008
- Doolin, K., Pashalidis, A., Kassler, A.,”Context-aware multimedia services in a pervasive environment – the Daidalos Approach” SOMITAS 2008 – First Workshop on Software Organisation and MonIToring of Ambient Systems, in conjunction with Ambi-Sys 2008 International Conference on Ambient Media and Systems, Feb 2008
- B. Farshchian, E. B., M. Divitini, K. Doolin, R. Pascotto (2008) “Architectures and Platforms for AMI: Workshop Summary report”. in Gerhäuser, H. H., J.; Efstratiou, C.; Heppner, J. (Ed.) Constructing Ambient Intelligence – AmI 2008 Workshops, Nuremberg, Germany, November 19-22, 2008, Revised Papers; Communications in Computer and Information Science, Vol. 32, 2010.
- C. Venezia, N. Taylor, H. Williams, K. Doolin, and I. Roussaki, “Novel Pervasive Computing Services experienced through Personal Smart Spaces”, International Workshop on Data Management in Ad Hoc and Pervasive Computing in conjunction with the 10th International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM 2009), Taipei, Taiwan, May 2009.
- Roussaki, I.G., Kalatzis, N. K., Doolin, K. J., Taylor, N. K., Spadotto, G. P., Liampotis, N. D., Williams, M. H., (2010) “Self-improving personal smart spaces for pervasive service provision”, in Towards the Future Internet, Proceedings of the Future Internet Assembly, Valencia, Spain, 2010.
- Nicholas K. Taylor, Patrick Robertson, Babak A. Farshchian, Kevin Doolin, Ioanna G. Roussaki, Liam Marshall, Robert Mullins, Steffen Druesedow, Kajetan Dolinar, “Pervasive Computing in Daidalos,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 74-81, Jan.-Mar. 2011, doi:10.1109/MPRV.2010.24
- Best Poster Award, “Self-Improving Personal Smart Spaces for Pervasive Service Provision”, FIA Conference, November 2009, Stockholm
Programme Committee Member / Paper reviewer for IADIS (International Association for Development of the Information Society) International Conference 2005, December Porto, Portugal
Invited as expert reviewer for 12th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, Aveiro, Portugal, July 2007
Workshop chair/organiser: “Aspects of Pervasiveness”, eChallenges 2006, October 2006, Barcelona, Spain